"p23 ab IgM reactive" "p41 & p39 non-reactive" do I have Lyme disease, or can something else cause this? (diagnosed w/ rheumatoid arthritis 7yrs ago.)

Dr. Martin Raff
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Complex

The diagnosis of lyme disease is usually on a clinical basis.
Serologic testing should not be done for screening purposes. False positive results are very frequent in patients with autoimmune diseases, particularly rheumatoid arthritis, and particularly when these are IgM antibodies.

In brief: Complex

Dr. Martin Raff
Dr. Martin Raff
2 comments
Dr. Martin Raff
With RA and IgM antibodies there are no definitive positive tests.
Dr. Pierre Moeser
IgM P23 does not prove that an individual has had Lyme disease. Possibilities include exposure to Borrelia, infection with Borrelia, false positive due to autoimmune disease.
Dr. Tedde Rinker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: Get a diff. test

The test you had doesn't clearly confirm or eliminate lyme disease as a diagnosis.
You need a more specific tests that has all the "species specific" antibodies of a lyme spirochete. Igenex labs in palo alto ca has the best lyme antibody test I have found. You can contact them and get a kit sent to you but your doc has to order the test.

In brief: Get a diff. test

Dr. Tedde Rinker
Dr. Tedde Rinker
Dr. Adam Smith