I have joint hypermobility and recently have had electric shock pain in my right hip going up my back, is this due to the condition or any concern?

Dr. Laurence Badgley
General Practice

20's female w. shock-like low back pain & Joint Hypermobility pain concerned for cause.
Sacroiliac joint, largest joint axial spine, is ?. Peer reviewed medical literature ID's SIJ to generate pain up to 30% people with chronic low back pain. Osteopaths are best doctors to evaluate these symptoms. Avoid surgery - with intention to pursue yoga, aqua therapy, SIJ belt, & back muscle reconditioning.

Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
Dr. Laurence Badgley
At Quora.com, under my name, and on my Pain Syndrome board of posts, I offer 100 essays devoted to subjects such as sciatica, IBS, Endometriosis, TOS, and Joint Hypermobility Syndrome.  At Healthtap.com, I have answered dozens of questions about these subjects, and which can probably be accessed. 
Dr. Bradford Landry
Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: See your physician

There is limited good evidence that joint hypermobility causes back pain.
Although there is some thought that due to increased laxity, individuals may be at increased risk of certain types of injuries involving the back. With symptoms such as "electric shock pain", there is concern of a nerve related problem and would warrant further investigation by a physiatrist, neurosurgeon or orthopedist.

In brief: See your physician

Dr. Bradford Landry
Dr. Bradford Landry
Dr. Moshe Lewis
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

In brief: Radiculopathy vs hip

This should definitely be evaluated further. You could have a primary hip issue or diagnosis causing the pain or radicalopathy which is due to lumbar disc disease impinging a nerve.
consideration for pyriformis syndrome also.Workup by a Sports Medicine, PMR, or orthopedist would likely include imaging of both areas. Physical therapy with an emphasis on core muscles may be a first line treatment.

In brief: Radiculopathy vs hip

Dr. Moshe Lewis
Dr. Moshe Lewis
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Suspect trigger point

The success of treatment of hypermobility is an exercise program.
Your pain sounds like a trigger point from the side of the hip. This type of pain is not a serious medical condition but it can hurt. The better Musculoskeletal tone will help prevent this triggering . Triggering means the pain will shoot up from the location to someplace else in the body. Sometimes trigger point injections are used

In brief: Suspect trigger point

Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman