How fast does a combination birth control pill work to prevent pregnancy?

Dr. Jane Van Dis

In brief: 7 days

I typically tell my patients that after taking the birth control pill straight for 7days, they should be protected in terms of having unprotected sex.
Of course, at 19, you should still be worried about STD's which typically means using a condom to help prevent exposure to syphilis, herpes, chlamydia, gonorrhea and HIV. Hope that helps

In brief: 7 days

Dr. Norma jo Waxman
if you start the pill within the first 5 days of your cycle ( which starts with the first day of your period) , then you don't need back up. otherwise this answer is correct, and you should use back up for 1 week if you start the pill at any other time in your cycle
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham