Can I have a multifocal lens implanted later if I decide to have a monofocal lens implanted now?

Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Ophthalmology

The short answer is yes you can, but i wouldn't recommend it.
Once you've had an intraocular lens implant implanted it's possible to remove it and "exchange" it with another implant, say a multifocal implant but there are definite risks with "exchanging" a lens implant. It's best to choose a multifocal implant now, if you believe you want one instead of a monofocal implant.

Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. LINDA VARGAS
Dr. Theodore Wu
IOL exchange can sometimes create more problems than it solves.
Dr. Richard Witlin
Ophthalmology - LASIK Surgery

In brief: Not usually

Lens implants are designed to be permanent and are not easy to change or replace at a later date.
While it can be done, it is not without surgical risks. You are still very young, so you should seriously consider the best type you want for the rest of your life. Talk to your surgeon in detail.

In brief: Not usually

Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Richard Witlin
Dr. Jack Hinkle