How can I tell if I have shin splints or a stress fracture?

Area of pain. Shin splints typically hurt over a longer length of bone, and a stress fracture is often point tenderness. If you have concern, see a specialist, and other diagnostic tests may be required to tell for sure.
Pain may be from... "shin splint" typically refers to pain on the front of the lower leg, . Pain in this area may come from medial tibial stress syndrome (mtss), stress fractures (more pinpoint pain), or compartment syndrome. Identifying the underlying reason for your pain can then help with a specific plan of care. Treatments usually consist of rest, stretching, ice, massage, or orthotics. (drmarkgalland.Com).