How can I tell if I have shin splints or a stress fracture?

Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Area of pain
Shin splints typically hurt over a longer length of bone, and a stress fracture is often point tenderness.
If you have concern, see a specialist, and other diagnostic tests may be required to tell for sure.

In brief: Area of pain
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Kenneth Tepper
Dr. Mark Galland
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Pain may be from...
"shin splint" typically refers to pain on the front of the lower leg, .
Pain in this area may come from medial tibial stress syndrome (mtss), stress fractures (more pinpoint pain), or compartment syndrome. Identifying the underlying reason for your pain can then help with a specific plan of care. Treatments usually consist of rest, stretching, ice, massage, or orthotics. (drmarkgalland.Com).

In brief: Pain may be from...
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Mark Galland
Dr. Marsha Davis