I have lupus. Should I get the hepatitis injections?

Dr. Hanford Yau
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

Patients with chronic medical conditions such as lupus are encouraged to get appropriate age-related vaccination with inactivated vaccines.
Besides hepatitis vaccination, also consider annual influenzae vaccine, pneumovax, and other age appropriate vaccination. Live vaccines generally should be avoided due to compromised immune system.

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Protect yourself

Yes I would recommend these vaccines- esp Hep B vaccine.
This is because u may require treatment in a hospital some day and that's where hep B is found. I know in England they are not very keen on immunisations but this vaccine is one of the safest of all.While u are at it, u might want to get the pneumonia vaccine too. Lupus makes the body weak & I would want to strengthen u as much as possible.

In brief: Protect yourself

Dr. Steven Seres