Is there anything I can take to attenuate the diuretic effects of caffeine? I drink coffee to take exams but don't want to have to urinate frequently.

Dr. Evans Prieston
Pharmacology

In brief: Cafffeine Diuretic

One of the properties of caffeine is that it acts on the kidney as a diuretic.
I do not know of any way to block the diuretic effect of caffeine other than reducing the dose, which of course will reduce the stimulant effect that you are looking for. The best advice I can offer is to drink the minimum amount of coffee that you need to get through the exam and limit other fluids. Good luck.

In brief: Cafffeine Diuretic

Dr. Bennett Werner
I agree completely with Dr. Prieston - and also: when you drink coffee, you're ingesting LIQUID. (it has to go somewhere even without a diuretic effect!)
Dr. Andrea Rodgers
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Not that I know of

There is no remedy for the diuretic effect of caffeine.
Try half caf, but do it in advance of your next exam so you can wean yourself off. You don't want to have the side effects of caffeine withdrawal during an exam.

In brief: Not that I know of

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine