Father just diagnosed with Differentiated Keratinized Squamous Cell Carcinoma in his prostate. Can you explain what this is, treatment & expectancy?

Dr. Simon Kimm
Urology

In brief: An uncommon problem.

Squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) is a very rare form of prostate cancer, less than 1%.
Because it is so rare, I recommend having the pathology reviewed at a specialized lab such as at Johns Hopkins or the Mayo clinic. If it is confirmed as SCC, treatment can vary, from surgery, to radiation, to chemotherapy. I'd seek help from a center that specializes in prostate cancer.

In brief: An uncommon problem.

Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Simon Kimm
Dr. Cynthia Archer
I appreciate your expertise and answer Dr. Kimm! I totally agree, the center nearest to your home would be best. Naturally, I am biased in favor of Mayo Clinic having trained there. There are many excellent centers for prostate ca treatment around the nation.
Dr. Cynthia Archer

In brief: This ? Is an office?

In general, squamous cell cancer is common, and without knowing how large the tumor is or if it has spread (which seems unlikely) it's impossible to comment on his case specifically in terms of treatment and prognosis.
In general prostatic CA is very treatable. This is exactly the question you should ask your fathers oncologist. If you want to read more I suggest sites like mayoclinic.org

In brief: This ? Is an office?

Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
2 comments
Dr. Cynthia Archer
It's very difficult to condense years of medical training into a 400 character space when the question you ask is something that needs to be discussed directly with the physician who knows the case. Without knowing your educational background explaining what a well differentiated squamous cell keratinized carcinoma is, how it behaves, how it's treated and the expected prognosis requires about 1hr.
Dr. Cynthia Archer
That said try not to worry, just schedule an appointment and I wish you the very best!