How effective is radiation therapy in treating pituitary tumors?

85-90% Depending on size, type and proximity to optic nerves a combination of surgery and radiation is used to treat this condition. Radiation can be given as radiosurgery in 1-5 fractions or as fractionated. Control rate is very good.
Very worrisome. The pituitary is located very deep and near to very vital areas. Focused radiation has been tried, but is very difficult to regulate. Direct surgical approach, best through the nose, is more appropriate. Complex array of blood vessels and nerve connections are present around the pituitary that can be permanently damaged by radiation.