How to transition off using steroid cream after 20 years?

Dr. James Budd

In brief: Why?

Varying potency of steroid creams, but generally should not use any for more than two weeks at a time.
Some absorption into the system is unavoidable. Two major risks of chronic topical steroid -- permanent thinning of exposed skin with cosmetic changes, and chronic suppression of adrenal gland function. Morning adrenal blood test can assess the latter. Find alternative for skin problem!!

In brief: Why?

Dr. James Budd
Dr. James Budd
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Consultation

Talk to a dermatologist, and have them evaluate your particular condition so as to have the treatment targeted to your real situation.
The steroid cream is generally not a long term answer.

In brief: Consultation

Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dr. Douglas Tavenner, jr.
Dr. Tarek Nashawi
Internal Medicine - Hospital-based practice

In brief: No guidelines

The thing you worry about is the effect of the steroids absorbed thru the skin on your body.
I m not aware of any tapering down guidelines. I would decrease the amount of cream put initially gradually and then give more time between applications until you stop.

In brief: No guidelines

Dr. Tarek Nashawi
Dr. Tarek Nashawi