What does a flexible sigmoidoscopy feel like? Are you out for it?

Dr. Allen Seely
General Practice

In brief: 'Flex sig' ='cramps'

For a 'flex sig' you are usually awake with no anesthesia unless arranged ahead of time with your doctor/G.
I. Doctor . The pain/cramps you experience is from the air placed in the lower colon so we can see the entire bowel wall . The usual indications for flex sig are for follow-up for known proctitis (colitis) otherwise a full colonoscopy is the best test for colon cancer screening.

In brief: 'Flex sig' ='cramps'

Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Allen Seely
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Gas. Usually not.

Flexible sigmoidoscopy is usually perfomed without sedation.
It is well tolerated. The sensation is like intestinal gas- some pressure but not intolerable. The use of carbon dioxide rather than air for inflation makes the procedure less uncomfortable.

In brief: Gas. Usually not.

Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. Jan Rakinic
Dr. William Forsythe