Can I go to the gym and workout after my shoulder joint dislocation?

Dr. Robert Levine
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Maybe

Depending on what you want to do you might be able to do some exercises.
But what you can do depends upon how long ago your shoulder was dislocated. I would assume you are getting physical therapy. Your doctor is the one who should tell when you can return to activities and to what activities you can return.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. Robert Levine
Dr. John McDonald
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Depends

Depending on the patient's age, immobilization in a sling varies from 1-3 weeks.
Then, progressive range of motion exercises and rotator cuff strengthening exercises are completed. Many of these can be done in a gym after being taught by a physical therapist. Heavy weight lifting is typically restricted for 6-12 weeks.

In brief: Depends

Dr. John McDonald
Dr. John McDonald
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine