Can low white blood count come from back injury steroid injections?

Dr. Adam Lewis
Neurosurgery

In brief: Back pain

Steroid injections will cause the white blood cell counts to rise rather than fall.
There is a rise in immature white cells (left shift) over mature white cells in response to the steroids. Chronic steroid use can lead to a suppressed immune system which makes the person susceptible to infection and weakness in the muscles of the arms and legs.

In brief: Back pain

Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Adam Lewis
Dr. Evans Prieston
Pharmacology

In brief: Low WBC

Since I do not have a complete medical history other than your back injury, I will answer assuming that you have no other medical issues.
Steroids usually cause an increase in the WBC count. If your WBC count is critically low, I suggest you consult with a hematologist to be sure that something else isn't going on.

In brief: Low WBC

Dr. Evans Prieston
Dr. Evans Prieston
Dr. Donald Alves
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Possibly

Steroid treatment / therapy can reduce white count in some individuals.
Should discuss concern with your treating provider.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. Donald Alves
Dr. Vicken Poochikian