Is there a link between Herpes Simplex Virus that causes a Herpetic Whitlow and The chicken pox virus?

Dr. Stephen Scholand
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Herpes cousins

Actually yes indeed.
The virus that causes herpetic whitlow- usually HSV-1 (but sometimes HSV-2) is related to the same virus that causes chicken pox. We call that virus VZV or varicella zoster virus. These viruses are found in the 'herpes' family of viruses. Great observation. I hope though you're not suffering too badly from these nasty viruses. There is a chickenpox vaccine out there BTW.

In brief: Herpes cousins

Actually yes indeed.

In brief: The only

Link they have is they are both members of the Herpes family of viruses.
They both can cause mouth sores. They both are contagious.

In brief: The only

Dr. Jane Van Dis