Can Pedialyte and water be used for infant constipation? My 7 wk old has hard stools and pain since switching to AR formula for reflux.

Dr. John Munshower

In brief: Not the best

Pedialyte and water are used more for hydration issues in a child.
You need to speak with your Pediatrician regarding treatments for a 7 week old, as "too much" water should not be given either. Best wishes.

In brief: Not the best

Dr. John Munshower
Dr. John Munshower

In brief: Maybe

If this is linked to the formula change and the kid is otherwise doing well with it, a simple supplement may help.
Prune juice, full strength adult, not the baby juice, can be offered at 1 oz once or twice a day and this acts to retain moisture in the poo and help it soften.You can increase or decrease the amount based on response.If not helping within 4 days, you may need to reconsider the formula

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Louis Cooper
I would suggest not using pedialyte--primarily used in diarrhea cases. Make sure the formula is the correct strength and not under-diluted with water. Also I use apple juice rather than prune juice for infant with firm stools. Lastly what do you mean by constipation--how often is your infant stooling? Any blood in bowel movements? If not better today with the juice (in addition to formula),
Dr. Cindy Juster