Stapedectomy 8y ago w/ great results. Now left ear's plugged 1 month after cold, audiogram 50 db in low freq (january were 10). Is otosclerosis back?

Dr. Jonathan Mills
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Probably not

I'm assuming the issues are with the operated ear, not the other ear. If the hearing decreased fairly rapidly with a cold and still feels plugged, and if your hearing loss is a conductive one (should be able to tell on audiogram), then it's likely fluid under the eardrum. If your ENT does not see any fluid, there could be a problem with the prosthesis having separated/eroded through the incus.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Eric Weisman