What is meditation?

Intention. Meditation means to familiarize or cultivate. What is it that we are cultivating? Normally in our daily life we are driven by our habits, emotions, thoughts and environment. In meditation we seek to generate an in born contentment, happiness and confidence that isn't conditioned by external factors but is self arising and free from doubt.
Hmmmmmm. Clearing your mind. A way to relax. Close your eyes and relax. Requires repetition every day allow 5-10 minutes in a quite place (room, park, sauna, bath tub etc) hmmmmmmm.
Meditation. Meditation is a mental practice where you learn to focus your attention in one area. There are many different types-- some (like transcendental) asking you to repeat a specific phrase or mantra, and others (mindfulness) asking you to simply observe what's present without trying to change anything at all. The result can be a much calmer emotional state, as well as more relaxed physiology too.