What is the reason for my knee joint pain starting up 30 years after playing lots of tennis?

Let us to answer. Tennis is demanding sport on both upper and lower extremities, after playing that long period of time some degeneration in the articular cartilages of the joint sequence to excessive stress happened and that cause pain in the joint (knee and others). Good luck.
Wear and tear. This is not an uncommon scenario. Tennis can cause a lot of pounding on the knees, particularly on hard surfaces like asphalt courts. Also the cutting side to side movements can put a lot of strain on the knees. This does not mean you have to give up tennis however. See a sports medicine doctor and they should be able to help you out.