Can getting hit with a tazer kill someone with an implantable defibrillator?

Dr. Mark Milunski
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Tazers
There have been recent reports of tazers causing cardiac arrest in patients without aicd's.
I suppose it would be possible for a tazer to "trick" and aicd into "thinking" that the patient had an actual arrhythmia and deliver what we would term an "inappropriate shock". I am not aware of any such reports however.

In brief: Tazers
Dr. Mark Milunski
Dr. Mark Milunski
Dr. Mark Gujer
Anesthesiology
In brief: Very doubtful.
If you look at what is happening.
A tazer puts out a lot of voltage but almost no energy in joules (about 2) this is not enough to stop the heart. The reports of deart in police arrests involve patients with excitation delerium. They fight themselves into an acute metabolic acidosis and this is most likely the cause of cardiac arrest. Dr jeff ho from hcmc in mpls mn has written papers for ref.

In brief: Very doubtful.
If you look at what is happening.
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. Mark Gujer
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine