If I take a single 2g dose of metronidazole for BV and it does not work will the bacteria become resistant? Should I try the week long course after?

Dr. Marvin Ott
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Not likely

Gardnerella, the bacterium that causes BV shows very low levels of resistance to Flagyl.
If the 2g dose was ineffective, the week long course could work better. Also, I don't know your situation, but being tested for STD's could also be appropriate, since many will cause the same symptoms. If your symptoms don't resolve, see your doctor. Hope this helps!

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Adam Levy