I have a umbilical hernia.Last night after laying on stomach when I awoke my hernia had moved and belly button was sunk in. What should I do?

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Surgery

In brief: You're good

Nothing. You just reduced the protruding tissue back underneath the hernia (hole) in the muscle.
It will return, especially if you do heavy work or strain/cough. if it protrudes and is hard and painful, you'll need immediate attention. The elective repair is quick, outpatient, and is done with a little sedation and local anesthesia. I recommend a surgical opinion. Good luck.

In brief: You're good

Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Mark Kuhnke
Dr. Shari Schabowski
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Pressure

Pressure can cause hernia to retract.
Hernia is not a problem unless it gets stuck out, swells, and is tender- especially if followed by vomiting. Otherwise size and presence of hernia is not important but you may want to have it repaired for esthetic reasons and to be sure that you never have complications.

In brief: Pressure

Pressure can cause hernia to retract.
Dr. Shari Schabowski
Dr. Shari Schabowski
Dr. Donald Colantino

In brief: Surgeon

Usually when an umbilical hernia becomes problematic,it's because it's stuck and can't be pushed back in.
However if you have discomfort and associated tenderness,have an examination by an abdominal surgeon.

In brief: Surgeon

Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Donald Colantino
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery