What should I expect my diet to be while I have gestational diabetes?

Dr. Michael Carson

In brief: Balanced

You'll be referred to a dietician to review the types of food and how much.
You should avoid simple carbohydrates such as desserts and white flour. Brown grains are much better at helping avoid spikes in the blood sugar. You still need "carbs", just balance them with protein and fats.

In brief: Balanced

Dr. Michael Carson
Dr. Michael Carson
Dr. Michael Rothman

In brief: Lo carb, no sugar

Gestational diabetes is the result of excessive sugar and carbohydrate intake which causes high blood sugar levels, which then make your Insulin levels rise.
Plus the hormone changes in preg make prob worse. . Over time the chronically high Insulin levels lead to Insulin resistance and you will need to make higher and higher levels of insulin. A lo carb, no sugar diet is effective for many women.

In brief: Lo carb, no sugar

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham