I might have gestational diabetes does this mean they might want to deliver my baby prematurely before it gets huge?

Depends on control. If your blood sugar stays high during pregnancy it will create problems for baby. Baby will begin to to make its own Insulin & begin storing the excess as enlargement of organs and body size. At some point, baby may be to large to go thru your birth canal & c-section may be necessary. If you achieve & maintain good control, baby will remain normal & normal delivery may be possible.