What happens to me when I get hypoglycemic?

Dr. Danny Proffitt

In brief: Many things

When the body senses a low blood sugar, safety mechanisms kick in to begin to raise the blood sugar. Adrenalin is secreted to block the effect of Insulin and to produce sugar from glycogen stored in the liver. Counter regualtory hormones are secreted to raise blood sugar. One may feel jittery, drunk, confused, hungry, sweaty, heart pounding, weak, and sleepy.
Treatment is dictated by cause.

In brief: Many things

Treatment is dictated by cause.
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Danny Proffitt
Dr. Charles Glueck
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Low blood glucose

When glucose falls to levels below 70, or in some folks, <60, then the body tries to elevate blood glucose, releasing epinephrine, glucagon, and cortisol, all of which promote elevation of glucose.

In brief: Low blood glucose

Dr. Charles Glueck
Dr. Charles Glueck