I have heard that you can treat ethylene glycol poisoning with alcohol. Is this myth or fact?

Fact. Alcohol is the traditional treatment for ethylene glycol poisoning; it is rarely used anymore because there are safer alternatives. There are still no good alternatives. If you drink ethylene glycol you will be sorry.

Related Questions

I've heard that you can treat ethylene glycol poisoning with alcohol. Is this true?

Yes, if early. Ethylene glycol is broken down by alcohol dehydrogenase into toxic metabolites. Once that happens, alcohol won't work. The idea is that the alcohol will take up all the available alcohol dehydrogenase available and stop it from metabolizing the ethylene glycol into it's more toxic metabolites. Read more...

Treating ethylene glycol poisoning with alcohol - how does that work?

Saturation of the. Enzyme (alcohol dehydrogenase) that breaks down the ethylene gycol into it's more toxic metabolites. Read more...
Ethylene glycol. Is broken down into very toxic metabolites by alcohol dehydrogenase. The idea is to saturate the enzyme with alcohol so that none is available to break down the ehtylene glycol. Read more...

Ethylene glycol poisoning - is that only from antifreeze?

No, but that is the. Most common source. Other sources are brake fluids, acrylic paints, primer and even shoe polish. But because the antifreeze tastes sweet and the others don't, it poses the greatest risk to pets and children. Read more...