How does my breast surgeon know about breasts--experience or training?

Dr. Regina Hampton
Breast Surgery

In brief: Both

I would recommend you ask your surgeon.
Most surgeons are general surgeons who have a interest in breast disease and have educated themselves or taken courses. More recently, breast fellowships have been created which is a formal educational training program where one works closely with a breast surgeon for 1-2 years. Find a person who not only provides good care but also educates you.

In brief: Both

I would recommend you ask your surgeon.
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Regina Hampton
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Cosmetic Surgery

In brief: Both+empathy=goodDoc

Breast surgeons (oncologic ; reconstructive) are not born - they are made.
Medical education like structural anatomy ; physiology (normal) while pathology (abnormal) provides knowledge whereas experience empowers the physician to help utilize the knowledge to provide the best result for their patients. The third factor which makes most people better is empathy and unfortunately only some have it.

In brief: Both+empathy=goodDoc

Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Zahid Niazi
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Both

Both factors are important to consider when selecting a breast surgeon, whether it be for “medically necessary” procedures or elective plastic surgical procedures.
I suggest patients ask to see examples of the work the surgeon has done in the past. Talking to previous patients may also be helpful. Best wishes.

In brief: Both

Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti

In brief: Highly trained

All of the surgeons are highly trained , after md at least 5 years of intense training, will have to take specialty boards and pass ( board certification ) in addition some of the breast surgeons will under go another 2 years in breast surgery alone.
That is 10years of intense training after high school , and will have best knowledge and skills to render the best care.

In brief: Highly trained

Dr. Addagada Rao
Dr. Addagada Rao