Anyone out there have MS and take avonex (interferon beta 1a)?

Dr. Gael Yonnet
Neurology

In brief: See answer below

Avonex (interferon beta-1a, im once weekly) is a very common first line therapy for the management of ms.
Other common first line agents include copaxone, Rebif and betaseron (interferon beta 1b).

In brief: See answer below

Dr. Gael Yonnet
Dr. Gael Yonnet

In brief: Better drugs present

Avonex (interferon beta 1a) is the least potent agent and am not using in most pts anymore, other than those who have done well for yrs.
No need to inject or have side effects from interferons, and Copaxone seems much safer if you must use a needle. But there are three oral agents, and one infusable drug once monthly. With these choices, why go to a drug, which on repetitive head-to-head studies always is inferior.

In brief: Better drugs present

In brief: No

I am a neurologist who specializes in ms and has ms myself.
I take Rebif myself.

In brief: No

I take Rebif myself.
Dr. William Shaffer
Dr. William Shaffer