Will I eventually lose my eyesight or develop kidney disease as a result of having type 1?

Dr. Jay Park
In brief: Not necessarily
Retinal and kidney damage are not totally preventable, however, progression thereof is at least minimized with aggressive management of diabetes.

In brief: Not necessarily
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Ophthalmology
In brief: Eye and Type 1 DM
Good control is the key to protecting your vision and kidneys.
The hbac1 strongly relates to this protection and with the assistance of your diabetic doc, you need to keep this number low (at least under 7.0 or more). There is effective treatment if diabetic change occurs in the eye including lasers and certain injectable agents. If your vision drops, see your ophthalmologist.

In brief: Eye and Type 1 DM
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Richard Bensinger
Dr. Steven Seres