I play team sports at my university. Do I have to stop now that I have type 1 diabetes?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: No

You need not stop, but will have to work closely with your doctor to properly control blood sugar.
Exercise, especially in competitive sports, significantly alters the balance of Insulin and blood sugar. Appropriate medication and carbohydrate management to keep you safe and sustain performance can be tricky, and must be tailored to your situation.

In brief: No

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Thomas Heston

In brief: No

Many people learn to manage their diabetes and live full, active, and adventurous lives.
Just pay attention to your diabetes and not ignore it.

In brief: No

Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Thomas Heston
Dr. Vakas Sial

In brief: NO

You may continue to play sports.
You will have to comply with taking your Insulin therapy appropriately and you should inform your school and coaches of your medical condition. There may be limitations placed, but having type 1 diabetes is not a barrier to playing team sports.

In brief: NO

You may continue to play sports.
Dr. Vakas Sial
Dr. Vakas Sial
Dr. Vicken Poochikian