I’m thin and i’m a distance runner, and don't fit the demographic profile of a diabetic. Why did I get diabetes anyway?

Dr. James Chu
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Probably type 1 DM
Most likely you have type 1 diabetes (previously called juvenile-onset or insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus).
This is autoimmune condition --- immune system attacks and destroys pancreatic beta-cells that synthesize insulin. Special tests can diagnose type 1 versus type 2 dm (more common, usually in heavy sedentary adults). See an expert. Adult with t1 dm are different than children with t1 dm.

In brief: Probably type 1 DM
Dr. James Chu
Dr. James Chu
Dr. Luis Gonzalez-mendoza
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Type 1 Diabetes
Type 1 diabetes, has nothing to do with lifestyle, it is in the mayority of cases an autoimmune disorder that you are design to get.

In brief: Type 1 Diabetes
Dr. Luis Gonzalez-mendoza
Dr. Luis Gonzalez-mendoza
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine