I take a lot of medication and a few supplements and I want to eliminate unnecessary pills. I take a green tea extract supplement. Is it necessary?

Dr. Randy Baker
Holistic Medicine

In brief: It depends on health

This depends on your health needs.
Green tea has been proven to have remarkable health benefits because it is rich in antioxidant polyphenols known as catechins, as well as l-theanine which has a calming effect. Among the proven benefits of green tea: preventing cardiovascular disease, lowers cholesterol & blood sugar, prevents many different cancers, protects the liver. See comment for more:.

In brief: It depends on health

This depends on your health needs.
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
Dr. Randy Baker
For more info on the benefits of green tea see http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/green-tea-000255.htm If you take a lot of medicine & a few supps & want to decrease pills maybe you should reduce your medications! But, of course, only under the guidance of a doctor, perhaps a holistic MD who may help you find safe natural alternatives to some of the medications...
Dr. Michael Rothman

In brief: Overhyped

Green tea is the latest in a long line of overhyped nutritional products.
Claims include weight loss, better health, longer life, better endurance. Do not believe the hype. Yes green tea contains some anti-oxidants and phytonutrients, but it still contains caffiene which is a stimulant and has diuretic properties. Too much green tea is not good for you.

In brief: Overhyped

Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Michael Rothman
Dr. Adam Smith