Who gets type I diabetes?

Dr. Andrew Rhinehart
Internal Medicine - Diabetology
In brief: Anyone
Most type 1 diabetes is diagnosed in children but it can occur at any age.
I just diagnosed a 63 year old man with new type 1 diabetes last week. The old term, juvenile diabetes, makes us think type 1 diabetes is a children's disease but it is not! type 1 diabetes can also run in families and is more common in siblings and children of people with type 1 diabetes.

In brief: Anyone
Dr. Andrew Rhinehart
Dr. Andrew Rhinehart
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Risk factors
The biggest risk factor seems to be positive family history of type one, especially if on the fathers side but for the majority of type i diabetics, no risk factor can be identified.
There might be an environmental element.

In brief: Risk factors
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Marsha Davis