How can I help my child live a normal life with type I diabetes?

Dr. Peter Kurzweil
In brief: Love
Treat them as normal kids with unique needs.
Find them a caring competent pediatrician and endocrinologist. Listen, assess, let them know your limits, let them figure out answers on their own for the most part, but always with appropriate limitations. Don't spoil them or let them develop an attitude of feeling entitled. Sound like good advice for any parent? It is.

In brief: Love
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Dr. Linda DiMeglio
Attending a diabetes summer camp can also be very helpful for adjusting in kids with diabetes. They have fun and meet lots of peers. Check with the a American diabetes association for one near you.
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Pediatrics - Endocrinology
In brief: Being supportive
With support, affection and avoiding punitive measures as much as possible.
Empowering the child (with supervision) when age appropriate on how to check bs and give Insulin also helps. And remember, highs and lows will happen regardless of how savvy we are in counting carbs so the best approach is always to provide encouragement and to remind him/her that better days are to come and that's it's ok.

In brief: Being supportive
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi
Dr. Cayce Jehaimi