Is a medium size joint effusion a lot of fluid in the knee?

Dr. Marc Hirsch
There are multiple questions to be asked about this effusion.
If is happened as a result of trauma are the components of the knee intact? If it occurred without trauma is it from an infection? Does a sample of the fluid need to be taken for analysis? I'm afraid you, or whoever's knee we're talking about, should see a doctor. Sorry for the inconvenience at a time like this.

Dr. Marc Hirsch
Dr. Marc Hirsch
Dr. Dan Fisher
In brief: Maybe.
Don't really know what you mean by medium or a lot.
An effusion is just fluid in the joint. The size of the effusion is not as important as the cause of the effusion or whether or not the effusion causes you any pain or limitation.

In brief: Maybe.
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine