How do I check my blood sugar levels?

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pediatrics - Endocrinology

In brief: Home glucometer

If you have diabetes or concerns about blood sugar, your doctor can either give you or prescribe a home glucometer to check your own blood sugars.
A prescription for glucometer strips and lancing needles is necessary.

In brief: Home glucometer

Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Dr. Vered Lewy-Weiss
Pathology

In brief: Doctor

It is important to check fasting blood/plasma glucose.
You should eat a normal diet and be fasting for at-least 8 hours. You should have your doctor arrange a test at a reputable lab. Blood/plasma glucose levels drop on storage of blood, so blood should be tested immediately. Finger stick tests with glucometers are not comparable to plasma glucose done is a lab.

In brief: Doctor