My father had a minor heart attack, now he is showing signs of dementia. Who can I go to?

Dr. Susan Uhrich

In brief: First,

Talk with his family doctor about what you are seeing.
Circulatory problems can occurr anywhere in the body. If he is cleared, see a geriatric psychiatrist as pseudo dementia can be a symptom of depression in the elderly and the is a high correlation between heart attack and depression.

In brief: First,

Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Susan Uhrich
Dr. Yash Khanna

In brief: Dementia

You need to consult your family doctor or cardiologist if it is a reaction to the meds he is taking, if not then consult a neurologist and if your suspicion is right then he will need treatment to slow down the dementia, there are meds available but first diagnosis has to be made as to what kind of dementia he has.

In brief: Dementia

Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Yash Khanna
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: Start with his doc..

His primary/family doctor can help you, starting with a thorough work-up for his possible dementia etc.
..I suspect depression is likely n can cause "dementia symptoms" which can be treated. If dementia is confirmed, treatments can be given. If his doc does not treat dementia, he will be referred to someone who does and help coordinate the care he needs..It is a big responsibity. Good luck.

In brief: Start with his doc..

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Maureen Nash
Psychiatry - Geriatric

In brief: Start with primary

Care. There are some syndres or medication side effects that can mimic dementia.
After some preliminary tests the primary care provider can see whether a geriatrician, neurologist or geriatric psychiatrist would be most helpful.

In brief: Start with primary

Dr. Maureen Nash
Dr. Maureen Nash