What should my A1c (hemoglobin a1c) be while I am pregnant?

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Internal Medicine & Pediatrics

In brief: Controlled

Good diabetes control is important in pregnancy for best fetal health.
There is some leeway because both high and low blood sugar can cause harm to mom and baby, but in general the lowest safely achievable A1c is desirable. Pregnant women with diabetes need to work closely with their ob/gyn and their pcp or endocrinologist, as medications used and level of control often change in pregnancy.

In brief: Controlled

Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Timothy Ashley
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Individualized

The goal is different for different people depending on your previous experience and current medical problems.
In general, the a1c goal is lower than in non-pregnant women. Aim to be at or around 6 %.

In brief: Individualized

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen