Why are women with diabetes pre-disposed to developing recurrent yeast infections?

Multifactorial. Yes high sugars suppress your immune system. When your immune system is suppressed it is easier to develop infection. But yeast also feed off high sugar and use it for fuel. The extra sugar allows the yeast to grow faster.
Yeast loves sugar. In women with uncontrolled diabetes, there is often a disproportionate amount of sugar secreted in the urine. In cases where there is some urine leakage or urine remaining after wiping, some sugar is left over. This provides an ideal food source for the yeast to take advantage of and grow.
Impaired immunity. When your sugar is elevated, your white blood cells do not function normally. Your white cells are what keep these normal skin and vaginal flora in check. If the white cells don't function well, these flora take over and cause these infections. Keeping your diabetes under control is key to avoiding this issue.
High sugars. Elevated glucose levels are in all the body tissues, including the vaginal cells and fluids. Yeast grows very quickly in that high sugar environment.
Immun system. Diabetes is a relatively immune suppressing condition, in that high blood sugar levels results in glucose deposition upon the white blood cells. This affects WBC function and can increase the risk for infections.