Can you tell me about the long term side effects from the chemotherapy drugs adriamycin (doxorubicin) and cytoxin?

TWO MAJOR ONES. Adriamycin (doxorubicin) and Cytoxan is a great combination regimen used in breast cancer. The major long term side effects for both of these drugs is secondary leukemias, risk is around 1%. For adriamycin (doxorubicin) there is a concern for cardiotoxicity, but risk rises with cumulative dose. Risk is less than 10%. Patients get an echocardiogram or muga scan prior to therapy to evaluate heart status. Talk to your md.
Both drugs have... Significant ses. Anthracyclines like adriamycin (doxorubicin) are associated with cardiotoxicity. A cardioprotectant known as zinecard is being evaluated in many settings to try to mitigate this. Being topoisomerase inhibitors, anthracyclines carry a risk of secondary leukemia. Cytoxan also has this risk, but it tends to develop later. Hemorrhagic cystitis and SIADH are also Cytoxan ses. There are others tho.