Now that I have diabetes, do I need to change the shoes I wear?

Dr. David Laha
Podiatry
In brief: Maybe
We recommend an extra depth shoe.
These have extra toe room and can accept a custom or over the counter support if needed. Examine you feet daily to look for concerns. Lotion daily with a good lotion to keep the skin more hydrated and supple. This can help avoid problems. Avoid barefoot. Keep your blood sugars in good control. Dr l.

In brief: Maybe
We recommend an extra depth shoe.
Dr. David Laha
Dr. David Laha
In brief: It depends
As long as you are wearing a comfortable shoe, that does not rub your foot or cause callouses or corns, you probable do not need to change.

In brief: It depends
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Arnold Beresh
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry
In brief: It is possible.
Diabetic shoes may be of benefit to you in order to help protect your feet.

In brief: It is possible.
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Jennie Law
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Maybe
Not sure what you normally wear, but it is impt to start paying more attention to your feet.
Main thing is, diabetics may develop nerve damage, decreasing sensation in feet- so look at your feet nightly, and make sure no sores, red areas or blisters- if you have these findings, you might need to change shoes. If u have feet pain, consider podiatry eval, bc bone/joint disorders (charcot) common.

In brief: Maybe
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Jennie Law
Dr. Steven Seres