4 doctors weighed in:

Can I have a shrimp allergy just by touching it?

4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Paul Carter
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
3 doctors agree

In brief: Yes

Touching the shrimp can cause local symptoms like itching or a hive where you touched the shrimp.
You aren't likely to have systemic symptoms like you would if you ate it, unless you put your finger into your mouth after touching the shrimp. In general, it takes ingestion of the food to cause anaphylaxis.

In brief: Yes

Touching the shrimp can cause local symptoms like itching or a hive where you touched the shrimp.
You aren't likely to have systemic symptoms like you would if you ate it, unless you put your finger into your mouth after touching the shrimp. In general, it takes ingestion of the food to cause anaphylaxis.
Dr. Paul Carter
Dr. Paul Carter
Thank
Get help from a real doctor now
Dr. Adam Smith
Board Certified, Internal Medicine
13 years in practice
382K people helped
Continue
108,000 doctors available
Read more answers from doctors