if my blood glucose number is so important, how do I control it?

Take your medication. If you have diabetes the best way to maintain normal blood sugars is to take your medications as prescribed. Following a prescribed diet regimen and engaging in regular exercise are also helpful. If you do not have diabetes, then keeping your body weight normal for your age and maintaining an active lifestyle with a healthy diet can help prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes.
Controlling sugars. Your blood sugar has two components. Your diet is important, as you need sugar to give your body energy. Follow a diabetic diet , do not eat raw sugars in food or drink. The other component is what you do to control your sugar, insulin, pills, and exercise. 80% of the sugar in your blood is used by the muscles, thus exercise helps to reduce your sugars. Meds are still needed for many.