Hi my 8yr son and tonsillectomy, and adenoids out yday,on regeine of paracetamol @nurofen, day 2 can't control pain for ears.drinking plenty,chewing g?

Dr. Holly Maes

In brief: Pain control T&A

There are stronger pain meds available but would need a prescription and that may be hard to get on a weekend.
Try gentle back of neck/scalp massage, distracting him with fun activities, etc. But if in pain he does not need to suffer and I would then call surgeon on call for your ENT or your pediatrician and see if they would prescribe small amount of stronger pain med.

In brief: Pain control T&A

Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Holly Maes
Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Need narcotic

Tonsillectomy in an 8 year old is extremely painful and almost always requires a narcotic syrup.
The pain in the ear is referred from the base of the tonsil.

In brief: Need narcotic

Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Kyon Hood

In brief: He may need stronger

medication to control his pain.
Some kids tolerate these procedures well with little pain and others have severe pain to the point of not drinking. If he can tolerate it and continue to drink and stay hydrated, you can f/u with the ENT doctor tomorrow. If it becomes unbearable, he may need to go to an emergency room for stronger medication. Hope he feels better soon.

In brief: He may need stronger

medication to control his pain.
Dr. Kyon Hood
Dr. Kyon Hood
Dr. Cindy Juster