Need a futon for my new apt. Tend to have allergies. If I get a used one, could I get a dust mite allergy?

Dr. Gary Steven
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Not really

If you're genetically predisposed to develop a dust mite allergy, you will be exposed to enough dust mite allergen that an allergy will develop.
It may come on faster if you have huge, frequent exposures, but an old futon in and of itself won't cause the allergy. Beat the cushions (outdoors!) when you first get it, then get it steamcleaned to remove as much dust mite allergen as you can.

In brief: Not really

Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Gary Steven
Dr. Paul Carter
You may be able to get an allergy barrier to put over the futon that will protect you from most of the dust mite exposure.
Dr. Vicken Poochikian