What is the difference between metoprolol succinate and metoprolol tartrate?

Mazin Albert
General Practice
In brief: Duration of action
Metoprolol succinate is an extended-release version dosed once daily, meanwhile, Metoprolol Tartrate is an immediate-release (short duration) version dosed twice daily for long-term management.
Both can treat hypertension and angina (chest pain), however, succinate is also indicated for heart failure and tartrate can be used to treat an acute myocardial infarction (heart attack).

In brief: Duration of action
Mazin Albert
Mazin Albert
Answer assisted by Mazin Albert, Medical Student
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
In brief: Different meds
Although they are both the same medicine, they are taken differently.
Tartrate is a shorter acting form meant to be taking 2 or 3 times a day. Succinate is a long acting form meant to be taken once a day. To me, it doesn't make sense to be on both.

In brief: Different meds
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Shabbir Hossain
Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Cardiology