Should children be screened for pre-diabetes?

Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
In brief: Depends
Universal screening of children for diabetes is not recommended, but certain groups my benefit from screening, including those with a strong family history of diabetes and children who are overweight.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Barbara A Majeroni
Dr. Natalie Hodge
In brief: Depends
Depends on their history and growth.
For a child with normal growth no symptoms, and no family history screening for type one diabetes is low yield. For type two we usually screen for children that are overweight, have a family history or any concern about increased urination or thirst.

In brief: Depends
Depends on their history and growth.
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology
In brief: Yes, for type 2 ,
If, their parents have type 2 diabetes, and child overweight for type 1 if either of their parents have type 1 diabetes.

In brief: Yes, for type 2 ,
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Jonathan Jassey