Can swallowing the pus drainage from gum abscess/cracked tooth abscess cause blood poisoning?

Dr. Susan Arnoult

In brief: No

Swallowing the pus will not cause the infection to spread but if the infection is left untreated the bacteria can get into your bloodstream and cause more serious illness

In brief: No

Dr. Susan Arnoult
Dr. Susan Arnoult

In brief: Probably not

Swallowing the pus from a dental abscess probably won't make you sick, as the acids in your stomach will neutralize the bacteria and associated waste products.
What could give you blood poisoning would be if the pus was to entry your blood stream. Not only could you become septic, your kidneys could fail and the mouth bacteria could lodge in your heart causing irreversible heart valve damage.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. I. Jay Freedman
Dr. I. Jay Freedman

In brief: NO

It will not cause septicemia(blood poisoning) but hopefully you are getting treatment for the cracked tooth and gum abscess.
Good luck.

In brief: NO

Good luck.
Dr. Michael Michaels
Dr. Michael Michaels
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dentistry - Orthodontics

In brief: No

But the bacteria directly entering the blood stream from the infected tooth can.
You have an infection. It needs immediate treatment. See a General Dentist, Endodontist, or Oral Surgeon.

In brief: No

Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Dr. Donovan Young
Dentistry

In brief: See your dentist

You need to have the problem taken care of immediately.
The abscess contains harmful bacteria and pathogens which can cause problems in the blood system and can transport bacteria to the heart valves and plaque along the blood vessels.

In brief: See your dentist

Dr. Donovan Young
Dr. Donovan Young
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dentistry

In brief: Infection

Swallowing pis wil to get into your blood stream. But the toxins can get into your blood stream if it is not treated.
I hope you have seen a dentist. For evaluation and treatment..

In brief: Infection

Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. Sandra Eleczko
Dr. William Forsythe
Board Certified, Emergency Medicine