I hit my right pinky finger on a table yesterday afternoon now it's swollen, tender and looks deformed is it broken or sprained?

Dr. Cynthia Archer

In brief: Suspect broken

Though I think the deformity is suggestive of fracture, if you did not experience severe pain fracture seems less likely.
That said, you would benefit from plain films and splinting, as the finger may need to be immobilized or properly positioned then immobilized to heal properly. Suggest an urgent care visit or visit with your doctor if you can get a same day appointment.

In brief: Suspect broken

Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Cynthia Archer
Dr. Robert Varady

In brief: Deformd could be bad

Deformed is not a good sign.
If it was just swollen and sore that might just be a sprain, but deformed might mean a fracture. An X-ray would solve the problem pronto

In brief: Deformd could be bad

Deformed is not a good sign.
Dr. Robert Varady
Dr. Robert Varady
Dr. Peter Ihle
Could still B a sprain, especially if the swelling is more on 1 side, & it appears 2 B deformed. I agree though, xame & x-rays R paramount.
Dr. Ronald Herring
Anesthesiology

In brief: Xray

I wish I had Superman xray vision but I don't.
No one else does either. Visit an ER and get it examined and xrayed.

In brief: Xray

Dr. Ronald Herring
Dr. Ronald Herring
Dr. Bradley Frazee
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Possibly

could be a broken bone or an injured ligament, but chances are its nothing serious.
you may not need to get it examined or x-ray'ed right away. you can buddy tape it (tape with medical tape to the 4th finger) for 2 days then re-examine it yourself: feel for a very tender spot; see if you can bend it fairly comfortably. If something still seems wrong at that point, seek formal medical care.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Bradley Frazee
Dr. Bradley Frazee
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine