Does Benadryl (diphenhydramine) allergy work for breathing problems?

Not typically. Benedryl helps by blocking histamine, so it is most useful for allergic problems like runny nose. It also is an effective sleep aid. It does not help much with asthma despite the fact that asthma is often allergy related. This is because of the inflammatory nature of asthma.
NO. Benadry is an antihistamine, that has anti-allergy properties, but also anticholinergic properties that can make you drowsy, can dry secretions, in older males--can cause difficulty urinating due to bladder outlet constriction. If you are having an anaphylactic reaction, let's say to a bee sting, then the bronchial tubes will constrict and Benadryl (diphenhydramine) can help; but by then u need an epi shot.