What is compulsive overeating?

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Addiction Medicine

In brief: See below

True hunger comes from our hypothalamus after measuring our energy needs and food stores.
But it tells other areas of our brain (the nucleus accumbens, caudate and putamen) to generate the hunger signal. This signal can be generated abnormally in diseases of food addiction and set off by stress, depression and various food triggers. We then eat more then we intend to.

In brief: See below

Dr. Stuart Wasser
Dr. Stuart Wasser
2 comments
Dr. Ray Tidman
Agree our hormones can drive us. As can our life's emotional pain. You are starting down the right path by asking why do I feel compelled to do Something/Anything. Find your answer, your doc is there to help you search. This may hurt.
Dr. Cornelia Franz
Excellent answers! investigate the emotional side of overeating. Many people overeat to subconsciously gain weight to hide some deep seated pain. Looking for "comfort" in the food.Dr. Tidman is right...this may hurt...but like a pimple once it is popped and drained the relief is amazing and you can function so much better. (Gross visual I realize but it makes the point.)
Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Pediatrics - Psychiatry

In brief: The usual answer is

Complusive eating disorder is a form of bulimia or maybe binge eating disorder. A discussion with a local specialist might be the best answer to help you sort this out.

In brief: The usual answer is

Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Dr. Jonathan Nehrer
Dr. Bassam Amawi

In brief: Overeating& loss of

I did answer a question like that before.
It is overeating and feels loss of control . The person then uses different methods to prevent weight gain such as vomiting and abusing laxatives.

In brief: Overeating& loss of

Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Bassam Amawi
Dr. Jack Hinkle